Reading is the key to becoming an independent learner!
By the end of Year 2 we aim that children will:
- Read with increasing fluency, confidence and understanding
- Read with enjoyment
- Have a growing understanding of how to use phonics and spelling rules to read accurately
- Have an interest in words and in increasing vocabulary
- Enjoy a wide variety of books, texts and authors
Our Teaching methods include:
- A reading scheme - our scheme is mainly based on ‘Oxford Reading Tree’ books, with a variety of other texts and real books to consolidate learning
- Real reading - support and challenge to read labels, signs, displays, instructions, class work, non-fiction texts
- Phonics - learning initial sounds, combination of sounds and whole words, and developing decoding skills
- Library lessons - including class, group and individual reading of stories, poems, rhymes, plays, posters and information texts. Children are also taught to use and understand technical vocabulary e.g. author, character, title, index.
- Use of school library to borrow and research from books
- Reading activities through cross-curricular activities including computing
- Extra events and activities - including celebrating, ‘World Book Day’, our annual ‘Boys & Books’ Week, and KS1 visits to Ripley Library.
Our Teaching Staff will:
- Promote and foster a love of reading and books
- Model the act of reading though ‘Shared Reading’ and provide focused support through ‘Guided Reading’
- Assess children’s progress and attainment continuously, providing support and challenge
- Create environments that are ‘print rich’ and ‘reading friendly’
- Liaise with parents/carers through ‘Busy Bee’ reading diaries and provide suggestions/support for parents/carers in the development of their child’s reading through letters, Parent’s Evenings, written reports, IEPs and Parent’s Meetings
- Provide differentiated tasks, activities, class work, reading scheme books and homework.
- Encourage volunteers to support children’s reading in school
- Report Reception EYFSP Scores, Year 1 Phonics Check and Year 2 SATs levels to parents/carers
- Write and implement specific plans and support in Reading for specific children