Preparing for Life in Modern Britain
We are a broadly Christian school, promoting tolerance and respect for all cultures, faiths and lifestyles through direct and indirect teaching of 'Community & Cultures'. This links directly with our teaching and support of British Values - pupils learn about and interact in our school and local community, and extend their learning/skills/knowledge to communities in Britain and around the world, to prepare them positively for a life in modern Britain (please see our website tab 'Welcome: British Values').
- Cross-curricular themes: Bright Lights & Big City; Rio de Vida; Land Ahoy; Street Detectives; Towers, Turrets and Tunnels..
- Safety: E-Safety, Bullying, Peer Pressure, Water/Road/Electrical/Fire Safety, 'Who to tell', Childline
- Religious Education: Christianity, Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, Festivals
- Geography: Countries, Toys around the World; Olympics; Football World Cup
- Physical Education: Sports Partnership, John Flamsteed activities, Cluster Schools
- Art: Artists/art/fabrics/patterns from around the world
- PSHCE: 'All about me', 'The same but different', 'Travelling around the world'
- Literacy: stories from a range of cultures, Fairytales around the world
- Science: Myself, My Body
- History: British History/events/people, Famous people, Athletes, Toys around the world
- Music: Assembly music from South America, Carribbean, Africa, Middle East, Europe, India; Dance music from around the world
- Assembly: Broadly Christian, incorporating themes of Christmas/Easter/Bible Stories, Diwali, Hannukah, Chinese New Year, Special Clothes/Places/Days, Famous People
- Displays: Cross-curricular themes
- Resources: Library packs - Religions, Festivals, Countries, Local Area, Caring for the world, People who help us, multicultural stories
- Events: Royal Wedding, Golden Jubilee, World Cup, Olympics, School Council meetings
Racist Incidents Procedure + Policy; Anti-bullying Policy; Equality Policy; Learning themes linked to 'Community'
- Parish Council: giving out awards, competitions, taking part in/leading school events, partnership working
- Use of school buildings: Citizen's Advice Bureau, Adult Education, Nurture Group, Belper Children's Centre
- Visits to: Baptist Church, Nature Reserve, Post Office, Junior School, Cox's Car Garage
- Taking part in community events: Remembrance Day, Carol Service, Fundraising for Padley Centre
- Supporting Community: 'Jeans for Genes', Comic Relief, British Heart Foundation, DBA, Children in Need
- Baptist Church, Horsley Church, Open Centre, Gurdwara, Pickford House Museum, Crich Tramway Museum, Sudbury Museum of Childhood, Chesterfield at Christmas, Ripley Library, Eco-Centre, Tropical Butterfly House, Twycross Zoo, National Space Centre
- Christians in Derbyshire Schools, local police, DCFC, St John's Ambulance, African Drumming Workshop, Denby Cricket Club, NSPCC